Table of Contents
D-Houses / Engage Programs
D-Houses (Discipleship Houses) for SEND International are found in Japan, Spain, and Taiwan. Engage programs are found in Macedonia, Ukraine, Russia, Southeast Asia and in our Diaspora ministries in Atlanta and New York City.
What is the difference between D-Houses and Engage programs? Not that much. They are all internships. They all seek to accomplish the same common outcomes (listed below), although methods and curricula vary significantly. Each program is uniquely designed for its context and fits the leadership style of the program coordinator. As a very general rule, D-Houses tend to prioritize the personal growth and discipleship of the participants, while also offering a quality cross-cultural ministry experience. The Engage programs tend to prioritize the cross-cultural ministry experience, while also investing in the growth and discipleship of the participants.
for all D-Houses and Engage Programs
As a result of my experience in a D-House or the Engage program, I will:
- Cross-cultural Ministry: Contribute to a cross-cultural ministry by serving on a team engaging in evangelism and disciple-making among the unreached
- Personal Discipleship: Identify areas in my life where I have grown in Christ-likeness and obedience to God’s Word
- Clarity in Calling: Understand more clearly SEND’s vision for this part of the world, and what my personal role might be in fulfilling that vision
- Ministry Skills: Become noticeably more confident and/or proficient in making disciples while living in a cross-cultural context
- Life Skills: Become adept at living in a cross-cultural context, learning and practicing life skills necessary for living on their own in this context
- Academic: Fulfill any academic requirements for internships (in most cases)
Resources for D-Houses and Engage
- Discipleship is one's intimate relationship with Jesus Christ as his Lord: The Why of Discipleship by Ron Hardy
- The Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan (from the Life Journal)
- Tokyo D-House: Myths and Truth by Ron & Carolyn Hardy
- Tokyo D-House description by Ron & Carolyn Hardy
- Recommended books and movies on discipleship > recommended by Ron Hardy
- D-House Ministry Objective, Goals, Strategies and Measurements. A document drawn up in February 2014 for the first D-House in Japan in Sendai (Tohoku)
- D-House Evaluation > used by the Sendai D-House
- Summer 2018 Tohoku (Sendai) D-House Schedule > both a typical schedule throughout a week, and a list of all the events throughout the summer
Curriculum used by D-Houses and Engage
- Journey Guide: A Companion for your cross-cultural trip > parts used by Engage Macedonia and D-House Sendai (Japan)
- Excerpts from "Journey Guide: A Companion for Your Cross-Cultural Ministry“ (an OMF booklet)
The Different D-Houses
D-House programs in Japan - in Tokyo and Sendai
- Guide interns through the complexities of daily life in another culture — shopping, making meals, communicating, moving around the city.
- Help interns understand and evaluate Japanese culture — a skill essential for contextualizing the gospel, making disciples and starting reproducing churches. Exploration of Japanese culture will include observation, reading and interviews.
- Give interns opportunities to put their cultural knowledge into practice as they partner with other missionaries or local believers to reach out to unsaved people in Japan. As ministries are chosen, consideration will be given to an intern’s desires, gifts and abilities, as well as to any academic requirements.
- At D House Spain, you can work together with young people from various cultures, especially young Spanish believers. Ministries in this internship can include hospitality in the SEND Spain Guesthouse, participation in camps and evangelistic campaigns, and supporting youth ministry in a local church.
- Regular discipleship group meetings and support from SEND Spain missionaries can help you seek the Lord’s will for your life, especially as you ask, “Lord, do you want me serving YOU in missions full time some day?”
- This program is designed for people ages 18-25. A basic level of Spanish is helpful but not required. You would live in the SEND Spain D House, with an experienced missionary couple as your downstairs neighbors. You would serve in a team environment and use public transportation to get to your ministries and to explore Spain.
- Our vision is that interns will develop as leaders, explore ministry opportunities, and encounter Taiwanese culture through mentoring and experiential learning. This semester-long opportunity is for those open to considering long-term mission work. This training will equip you with a Biblical foundation and effective tools for serving Jesus in any cross-cultural context.
- Develop personally, professionally, and spiritually through one-on-one mentoring and group training modules
- Learn how to engage the unreached Hakka people by using your gifts to build relationship bridges in order to make disciples
- Learn Mandarin in a university setting
- Live in a university dormitory in order build relationships with fellow students and share your faith as the opportunity arises
- Take part in English (ESL) outreach among college students
- Engage with a multinational team of missionaries for accountability, support, and guidance
The Different Engage Programs
- a three-month ministry experience (which also can serve as an academic internship), offers English speakers in their 20s the chance to explore God’s call while also practically ministering in Europe.
- Guides participants through the complexities of daily life in another culture — shopping, making meals, communicating, moving around the city.
- Helps participants understand and celebrate Macedonian culture — a skill essential for contextualizing the gospel, making disciples and starting reproducing churches. Exploration of Macedonian culture will include observation, reading and interviews.
- Gives participants opportunities to put their cultural knowledge into practice as they partner with other missionaries or local believers to reach out to unsaved people in Macedonia. As ministries are chosen, consideration will be given to a participant's desires, gifts and abilities, as well as to any academic requirements.
- a dynamic internship opportunity that will take you to one of several teams across Russia. Interns in this program will personally engage with global needs and experience life and ministry with one of SEND Russia’s four teams in order to help determine ongoing involvement in cross-cultural ministry.
- Develop life skills and grow in your personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Better understand the life of a global worker and assess personal involvement in the Great Commission.
- Work closely with the SEND team.
- Experience the challenge and excitement of living in a new country and culture.
- Participate in SEND ministries, including engaging people with the gospel.
- Experience cross-cultural missions by living and ministering in Kyiv or Odessa, Ukraine. Take advantage of Ukraine’s extensive train system to travel around the country, exploring life and ministry outside of the capital. This internship can help you:
- Grow spiritually. Meet with an experienced SEND missionary for mutual prayer and encouragement.
- Explore a new culture. Rely on public transportation. Eat borsht. Shop outdoors. And that’s just your first week. Throughout your stay, there will always be an intriguing aspect of culture to explore.
- Study a language. Our experienced Ukrainian and Russian teachers will help you communicate, even if you get off the plane barely able to say “da.”
- Live in community. SEND has worked in Ukraine for more than 15 years. Join a team that has a long history of supporting one-another in ministry and in life. Live, study and minister alongside other Engage Ukraine participants, sharing the struggles and joys of cross-cultural life.
- Serve the Ukrainian church. Actively participate in a local body of believers. Take your language and cultural lessons and use them to engage the lost through English clubs, children’s clubs or campus ministries.
- This one-year Muslim ministry internship in Southeast Asia will equip you with a Biblical foundation and effective tools for serving Jesus in any Muslim context.
- Through a multi-faceted and holistic ministry, SEND International’s Team Hope uses storytelling of God’s Word and Discovery Bible Studies to develop healthy families of faith that initiate disciple-making movements.
- Working alongside this experienced team, you will:
- Learn to initiate Disciple Making Movements in a Muslim context.
- Practice storytelling and Discovery Bible Study methods that can transfer to any Muslim context.
- Grow through studying 10 core modules that cover topics such as cultural contextualization, fruitful practices in Muslim ministry, women in Islam, and relational bridge-building.
- Serve in New York City, which is home to more than 50 unreached people groups.
- Immediately put what they’re learning into practice. EQUIP missionary training takes a “just-in-time” approach. As soon as you are trained in a church-planting principle, you will have ample opportunity to put it into practice.
- Work with a team to develop a ministry plan to reach an unreached people group in New York City and spend 10 months putting it into practice.
- Facilitate at least one Discovery Bible Study with influential international students on prestigious New York City university campuses.
- Learn to “live out loud” by sharing the gospel numerous times throughout the year.
- During this internship, you will live right in the middle of 22 very multi-ethnic apartment complexes. You will learn about the Bible and missions theory/principles — then go out and share the love of Christ daily. You will be not just a hearer of the Word, but a DOER.
- This five-month intensive missions internship includes about three hours of classroom training in the morning coupled with hands-on outreach in the afternoons. Earn the Bible credit you need to serve long term with many missions organizations, plus develop ministry skills that will prepare you to serve among the unreached throughout the world.
- See the website for LLI
- provides mentored, practical cross-cultural leadership development and discipleship training to equip young leaders in Transform (18-28 years) and BRIDGE (20-40 years) to serve on multicultural teams in God’s kingdom work. Utilizing experiential learning, Bible teaching, cross-cultural team building and leadership development, spiritual formation, outdoor education, practical Christian ministry assignments, adventure education, character and life skill training students are equipped and empowered to live in a Covenant Christian Community where they invest their lives into others as servant leaders who actively follow after Christ.