Table of Contents
See the separate wiki page on mentoring.
Intentional Disciplemaking: SEND's philosophy
- see this page: Intentional Discipleship
Motivating your team in disciple-making
The 2020 Europe Leadership Development Cohort created this document and the accompanying assessment.
- SEND's Discipleship Levels used in Connect & Pray
- Discipleship levels for outreach to an unreached people group (as customized by a SEND team).
- Phases in the discipleship journey of an individual: ABWE's Evangelism & Discipleship Scale
- The profile of a disciple from the Gospel of a Matthew - developed by Ken Guenther
- Disciple-Making Movements (DMM) and Church Planting Movements (CPM & T4T) page of the wiki provides helps in growing disciples particularly in group contexts.
- Banding Together: A Practical Guide for Disciple Makers Leader's Guide > Banding Together looks back at the disciple-making “bands” of John Wesley. Its main goal is to get people into the scriptures daily, journaling, and applying the scriptures.
- Discipleship Essentialsby Greg Ogden is a tool for taking a small group (3-4) of people through a number of theological and scriptural concepts. It is a tool based on Ogden's Transforming Discipleship.
- New Life in Christ > The New Life In Christ discipleship manuals were designed to help Christians grow. The lessons will help new believers take their first steps towards victory in their Christian life. The original volume was written in Spanish, and later translated into English, Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, German, Tagalog, and several other languages. Recommended by Craig Nordgren.
D-House (Discipleship House) and Engage programs
see this page
Books about discipleship
- Walking Together on the Jesus Road: Intercultural Discipling by Evelyn & Richard Hibbert. See Ken Guenther's review of this book. Also reviewed on the SEND U blog.
- The Scout Mindset: Why Some People See Things Clearly and Others Don't by Julia Galef. Reviewed by Ken Guenther on the SEND U blog.
- Discipleship Essentials: A Guide to Building Your Life in Christ by Greg Ogden looks at the ministries of Jesus and Paul in order to ask the question, “how should one make disciples?” This is a book about forming a disciple-making paradigm.
- Personal Disciplemaking: A Step-By-Step Guide for Leading a New Christian From New Birth to Maturity by Christopher Adsit. Recommended by Brett Hamilton. “He lays out a type of grid of discipleship through various phases of growth (baby, child, young adult, adult) with key spiritual disciplines (prayer, witnessing, word, family, etc). It is a helpful tool to be aware of needing to repeat certain foundational truths at various depths and not to dump the truck of theological truths too much or too fast on a young growing believer.”
- Strategic Disciple Making: A Practical Tool for Successful Ministry by Aubrey Malphurs. Recommended by Bernhard Triebel. Addresses the preparation of disciple-makers and the process of disciple-making.
Disciple-making in a church (or church planting) context
- The Vine Project: Shaping your ministry culture around disciple-making by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne. Reviewed by Ken Guenther on the SEND U blog.
- The Trellis and the Vine by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne.
- Hearers and Doers: A Pastor's Guide to Making Disciples through Scripture and Doctrine by Kevin Vanhoozer. See Gary Ridley's book review on the SEND U blog.
- Grounded in the Gospel: Building Believers the Old-Fashioned way by J. I. Packer and Gary A. Parrett about using catechesis as a form of disciple-making. See Gary Ridley's blog post reviewing this book.
- Life Change Groups, as done by Joel & Elaine Loewen in Japan. Based on the book,
- Community: Taking Your Small Group Off Life Support, by Brad House
- Biblical Foundations for the Cell-based Church, by Joel Comiskey
- The Big Book On Small Groups, by Jeffrey Arnold
Articles about discipleship
- Discipling Others by Ron Hardy. Ron shares some of the principles that he has used in the past as he has discipled hundreds of high school and college students over the past 40 years
- The Lausanne Cape Town Commitment > discipleship and disciple-making is emphasized at several points in the commitment
Online courses on discipleship
- Online course with our partners at WorldTeam called: Discipleship: Growing Mature Followers of Jesus with challenging content and stimulating discussion with other learners who see the critical role of discipleship in church planting among the unreached.
Podcasts about discipleship
Diaspora ministry > Click on the link for the SENDU wiki page on Diaspora
Ethnography > Click on the link for the SEND U wiki page on Ethnography
Evangelism > Click on the link for the SEND U wiki page on Evangelism
Muslim ministry page > Click on the link for the SEND U wiki page on Muslim Ministry
Story-telling > Click on the link for the SEND U wiki page on Story-telling
See the wiki pages on SEND's Youth Ministry
Transformational Development > Click on the link for the SEND U wiki page on Transformational Development