Table of Contents
Books on Member Care
Books by Ron & Bonnie Koteskey
- A general web page describing all the books offered by Ron and Bonnie Koteskey, some which have been written by others and then edited by the Koteskeys. All FREE. Many books on cross-cultural worker marriages, Third Culture kids, adolescence, re-entry - free downloads in PDF, Word, Kindle and epub formats.
- Some of the main books on member care by Ron Koteskey
- Psychology for Missionaries > Ron Kotesky taught psychology in Christian colleges for 35 years, so he knows what he is talking about.
- Coming "Home": The Reentry Transition > You can use this book as a part of debriefing in a group, as an aid when being debriefed by another person, or alone as a part of a self-debriefing.
Other books on member care
- Where Is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancy
- Trauma & Resilience: A Handbook- Effectively Supporting Those Who Serve God__edited by Frauke & Charlie Schaefer, April 2015 (Barnabas International)
- Too Valuable to Lose: Exploring the Causes and Cures of Missionary Attrition- William Taylor. Recommended by Lazaro Pascual.
- Doing Member Care Well > Kelly O'Donnell
- Serving as Senders Today- by Neal Pirolo
- The Reentry Team: Caring for your returning missionaries > by Neal Pirolo
- Healthy, Resilient, & Effective in Cross-Cultural Ministry > by Laura Mae Gardner Why is this book unique?
Dealing with the Busyness and Stress of Ministry
- See section on burnout on the Emotional Wellness page.
- Skimming: Stop trying to look good, and do the dirty work beneath the surface. Great article by Pete Scazzero from Leadership Journal.
- The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath > book by Mark Buchanan. Recommended by Warren Janzen. Book summary.
- Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives by Richard Swenson. Reviewed and recommended by Eric Oldenburg. Recommended as well by Ken Guenther on the SEND U blog.
- Emotional Survival Skills. An article by Pastor James Emory White, senior pastor of Mecklenburg Community Church. Two main choices he made to keep a full emotional tank:
- establish clear boundaries regarding giftedness and personality
- plan regular emotionally replenishing experiences
- Tyranny of the Urgent (5 Pack) > a little booklet by Charles Hummel. Sold by Amazon in a 5-pack.
- Review by David Mays of All Stressed Up and Everywhere to Go: Solutions to De-Stressing Your Life and Recovering Your Sanity by Gaylyn R. Williams and Ken Williams
- Review by David Mays of The Stress Effect: Why Smart Leaders Make dumb Decisions - And What to Do About It by Henry L. Thompson.
- CHOPS Inventory of Stressors > a chart where you can describe struggles, strategies, and successes in several different categories of stressors
- Practicing Hope: Missions and Global Crises by Jerry Ireland and Michelle Raven. See book review by Gary Ridley on SEND U blog.
Marks of Effective and Sustainable Life and Ministry
Go to the Marks of Effective and Sustainable Life and Ministry page for more information.
- This resource was developed by the 2014 SEND Eurasia Leadership Development cohort.
- The downloadable PDF contains a self-assessment tool for helping missionaries achieve and maintain personal health in key areas of life and ministry. It also contains a directory of resources that can address issues discovered through the self-assessment.
Member Care Conferences
- BROKEN-LINK:SHARE ConferencesLINK-BROKEN > highly recommended by Nathan Garrett. Although primarily designed to help parents with educational choices for their children, these conferences held in various places in Europe have become great places for the entire family to receive member care.
- Mentoring New Missionaries > This is an excellent EMQ article from 2008 with a great rationale for the need to mentor new missionaries and specific ideas as to how to do this. This could provide the foundation for a great proposal/recommendation. For SEND members only.
- This is a very simple, one-page list of questions in 5 keys areas that all new missionaries are faced with: language study, cultural adjustment, spiritual health, personal/family adjustments, and church involvement. This just gives an idea of some of the kinds of practical questions that could be discussed between mentor and mentee.
- Thrive in a New Place (SIM) - This is a great little booklet put out by SIM, again to be used in a mentoring relationship with new missionaries. It is intended to be used weekly over the course of several months. Included are great questions, covering a range of topics, as well as evaluation tools. Again, a great little tool that could easily be adapted to a particular team/field.
Overcoming in the Struggle with Pornography
- Restoring the Soul – website with resources for the struggle with porn addiction
- Treating Pornography Addiction: The Essential Tools for Recovery by Kevin B Skinner
- Surfing for God: Discovering the Divine Desire Beneath Sexual Struggle by Michael John Cusick
- I Surrender All: Rebuilding a Marriage Broken by Pornography by Clay & Renee Cross
- Your Brain on Porn > free e-book from Covenant Eyes
- Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time by Stephen Arterburn, Fred Stoeker and Mike Yorkey
- The Addiction Bubble: The world within the fantasy > a presentation created by a recovering self-addict, now studying in seminary
- Setting Captives Free > recommended by Dave King
- Hooked: A Christian response to Porn Addiction > 1-hour video by Covenant Eyes
- Wired for Intimacy: How Pornography Hijacks the Male Brain by William Struthers
- Closing the Window: Steps to Living Porn Free by Tim Chester
- Sex and the Supremacy of God- free book in PDF format, edited by John Piper
- Missionary Marriage: Computer Sex or Me recommended by the IO for all SEND missionaries
- Many, many more resources from Covenant eyes - for men, for ministry leaders, for wives, for women
- Internet Protection and Accountability software
- See link page
Resources for providing Member Care for others
- Mobile Member Care Toolbox > recommended by Bruce Cannon. They provide resources in French and Spanish as well.
- Daily radio programs from Member Care Media. Member Care Media (MCM) is a media ministry of TWR (www.twr.org) specially prepared for cross-cultural workers whose obedience to the Great Commission has taken them to difficult regions. The program content not only reminds them of God’s promise that He is with them to the very end of the earth but also addresses changing needs from recruitment to retirement.
- See wiki page on Emotional Wellness which includes a section on dealing with trauma and loss.
- Looming Transitions: Starting and Finishing Well in Cross-Cultural Service by Amy Young. Reviewed by Gary Ridley on the SEND U blog.
- See also books below by Ron Kotesky on Missionary Transitions and Reentry.
member_care.txt · Last modified: 2022/08/03 20:51 by admin