Table of Contents
Onboarding of new workers
What is Onboarding?
Onboarding = Onboarding is an intentional, individualized coaching/ training process by a supervisor to help new people become quickly effective in the basic competences needed in their new roles. This process begins at selection and carries on throughout the first year in the new role.
SEND U Onboarding Tools
- SEND Core > additional onboarding for staff of SEND International's Sending Offices
- onboarding process / check-list that can be adapted for each field.This overview document can also be downloaded in Word format.
- See the onboarding flowchart as well, outlining the different stages in bringing the new member to the field.
East Asia Onboarding Tools:
- Motivation Plan Worksheet. created soon after missionary's arrival and revisited regularly with coach after that
- Learning Contract. Designed more for specific tasks, not as a covenant-type document
Japan Onboarding Tools:
- In addition, they also have “Ongoing Orientation” which happens during the first couple of years. This primarily consists of quarterly sessions to familiarize their new missionaries with the Japanese culture, church, and with SEND Japan and relationships they have with other organizations. They’ve also encouraged their missionaries to join monthly orientation sessions that TEAM holds and invites them to.
Macedonia Onboarding Tool:
- Long-term Onboarding Master. A tracking tool
Spain Onboarding Process:
The Spain AD tracks new missionaries headed to Spain with this spreadsheet that explains the process and the responsibilities of field leadership, team leader, the L&O Committee, and the appointee or first-term missionary. This protocol includes:
- a teaming questionnaire. This questionnaire seeks to determine personal convictions about various doctrinal, ecclesiological and teaming questions
- StrengthsFinder 2.0. The access code for the online Strengths Finder questionnaire can be found in the book by the same name.
- A Big Sib (Big Brother or Sister)
- Emails sent by SEND Spain AD to appointees
- L&O Manual for New Arrivals to Spain. The L&O on-arrival checklist is found on the last page of the manual
A couple of other resources developed by the Spain area:
- Thrive in a New Place (SIM) - This is a great little booklet put out by SIM, again to be used in a mentoring relationship with a new missionaries. It is intended to be used weekly over the course of several months. Included are great questions, covering a range of topics, as well as evaluation tools. Again, a great little tool that could easily be adapted to a particular team/field.
A number of other resources for language learning can be found on the Language Learning page, and for cultural learning on the cultural adaptation page.
For the onboarding process for a new field leader, see Transitioning to a new leader role.