Table of Contents
Get TESOL Training
ASEAN Center for TESOL - This program was developed and run by SEND personnel. It is both highly interactive and very practical. There are several programs to choose from: An intensive 5-week TESOL Certificate, an 8-week online TESOL certificate, as well as a Workshop (work at your own pace).
Online or in England “We are unique in offering the internationally-recognised, accredited TEFL certificate, the Trinity College London CertTESOL within a Christian environment!”
- offers an MA in TESOL and Intercultural Studies
- offers a summers-only/online format. This format is tailored to the needs of English language teachers who are already serving abroad. Each June and July, they offer a semester's worth of courses that follow a three-year cycle as well as several online courses during the fall and spring.
- they offer generous financial aid for teachers and administrators with Christian agencies who plan to use the TESOL degree long-term. Graduate students in this category are eligible to receive full or partial tuition scholarships, especially if they apply for a Billy Graham Center Scholarship (for pre-field and home assignment International Workers) by the March 1 deadline.
- offers an MA in TESOL - online or on campus
Southern Ontario Cooperative of ESL Ministries - “Recommended by Noelle Kubinec, who says, “It has a section with resources that I have found very helpful. Especially the virtues curriculum. I have been able to use the introductory lessons that focus on virtues and avoid the lessons that include Bible stories in my language centre.”
Resources for teaching English related to the Bible.
- The book of virtues.New York: Simon & Schuster. Bennett, William J. (1993).
- Civilisation. Clark, Kenneth.
- The dictionary of cultural literacy (2nd ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company. Hirsch, E.D., Jr., Kett, Joseph F., & Trefil, James. (1993).
- Ministering Cross-Culturally (2nd ed.). Lingenfelter, Sherwood G. & Mayers, Marvin K. (2003).
- The ultimate language lesson, Christianity Today,46(13), 32-38. (Various philosophies explored) Tennant, Agnieszka. (2002, December 9).
Resources for understanding international students.
Lesson materials and related resources
International Network materials (Evangelical Free Church-related):
Adventures in English, Exploring English, Discoveries in English,Pathfinders, etc.
e-mail: mailto:DonErickson@efcaim.org. ph: 262-697-1180
address: 7535 – 32nd Avenue, Kenosha, WI 53142
(Also available through Next Step Resources) http://www.nsresources.com/
Beacon Hill Press (Nazarene Church-related):
- Easy English Bible - The EasyEnglish version of the Bible and some of the commentaries use a vocabulary of just 1,200 words and are for those who have learned English as a second language. For those who have a greater knowledge of English there is another level using 2,800 words. Both levels follow simple forms of grammar which help to express complex ideas in simpler words and sentences. The rules followed include the use of one topic per paragraph, no passive verbs, split infinitives, idioms, rhetorical questions, or, ambiguous pronouns. Working from their homes, the team of volunteers involved comprise writers, translators, linguistic and theological checkers, and editors. Started 20 years ago, the EasyEnglish project is part of MissionAssist (formerly Wycliffe Associates UK) which offers a range of services at no cost to overseas mission workers.
- EFL Workbooks - These workbooks are designed for learners of English who need to improve their reading comprehension in order to perform effectively in Bible colleges and seminaries that require extensive reading in English. The intention is not to teach English, but to supplement classroom instruction with biblically contextualized passages and exercises.
Create Crossword Puzzles:
Games & Activities :
Guidelines for Student Assessment:
- BBC Podcasts: for mid-intermediate to low advanced
Materials Evaluation :
News Headlines Daily :
People Stories :
Proficiency Tests :
Rubric Maker :
- RubiStar: The Rubric Maker
- Turor Training Kit By Myrina Rutten-James